It’s 4:30 PM on Wednesday as I write this and it’s (still) snowing in the Adirondack Lake Placid region. This is in addition to some 10 inches that’s fallen in the past 10 days. That has been our theme since late December, and I must say, the skiing, snowboarding, cross country skiing and snow shoeing continues an epic season.
THURSDAY AM UPDATE – Last night, Whiteface Mountain received another 5 inches of snow, giving us 15 inches over the past 11 days.
I have personally experienced stellar conditions at Whiteface Mountain. Mirror Lake, which is adjacent to the inn, continues to offer dog sledding, cross country skiing and snow shoeing.
Whiteface Mountain is open daily through Sunday, April 12. The mountain is still offering 68 trails covering top to bottom access. Actually, Whiteface might open for weekend activity after Sunday. Check with us for updates. I can tell you that there will still be lots of snow whether or not the lifts run after Sunday. Thereafter, we will definitely see hikers taking advantage of all the spring snow whenever the lifts stop running.
But first things first….this weekend brings us the annual pond-skimming event and more.
- Cloudspin Lounge Special: Magic Hat 9 & the Whiteface Burger, topped with chili, cheddar and jalapenos
- International Pond Skimming Championships: Think you can make it across our sea of slush? Many have tried and almost as many have failed but crossing the pond isn’t the only way to win. Contestants will be judged on distance, splash and costume!
- Cost: FREE
- Registrations: Guest Services 8:00 am – 11:00pm | There will be a strict limit of 100 competitors so get here early to ensure your spot
- Competition Begins: 12:00 pm
- Awards: Held on the Cloudspin deck at 4:00 pm
- Rock The Face: Live music all day with Annie in the Water and Spiritual Rez.
If you prefer nordic activities, Mount Van Hoevenberg has 35 kilometers (20 miles) open for cross country skiing and snow shoeing. The nordic center is just 6 miles from the Mirror Lake Inn, and has its own comfortable base lodge with hot and cold food available.
The weekend forecast is going to be very agreeable for all these recreational pursuits. And right now, lift tickets, trail passes and hotel prices are very attractive. If you’re up for one last blast in the Adirondack Lake Placid area, please give us a call at 518-523-2544. Our on-site reservation staff will give you the latest information.